Embroidery Hoop Wall Art

Evening, friends! I finally made it home to PDX late last night after a long, eventful day of travel. Today has been quiet and relaxing. I stole my boyfriend's softest sweater, made a hot cup of tea and did work in bed all day! Oh, and I may have plugged in the twinkle lights and listened to a little Otis Redding Christmas Pandora channel...

Here is a little DIY I finished today that I have been meaning to do for a long time...filling this embroidery hoop has been one failed DIY after another. After using transfer paper to print a photo on fabric didn't work, I resorted to just washi taping a little feather in the middle of the hoop and calling it a day. Today that feather inspired me to try something else!

To do this I used a regular ink pad (since I won't be washing it or anything), a feather (needs to be one that isn't too fluffy - I cut mine down a little so there wasn't too much fluff and it was a shape I liked), letter stamps, white fabric, and of course the embroidery hoop.
I carefully stamped on the phrase I wanted. Then I used this tutorial to print the feather below the writing. I used a wine cork instead of a roller since I didn't have one, and it worked just fine!

I'm really happy with the way it turned out - I love that the stamp letters are a little bit imperfect. If you don't have letter stamps, you could also hand write a short phrase using a paint pen, or you could just do a feather! I'm excited to try a few more projects using my newly learned skill of feather printing :) 
Hope you're having a great Sunday! xx


8 comments:

  1. Wow! Well done. This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love this idea. c:

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such a cute idea! i love the imperfect stamp letters.. makes it seem more natural :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! So cute! Where did you get your stamp set? I've been looking for one for a while and haven't found anything yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)
      I got mine from a little shop called Gus & Ruby in Portsmouth, NH. I'm not sure what the brand is but this one on etsy is very similar: http://www.etsy.com/listing/122192257/small-alphabet-rubber-stamp-set-in?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=supplies_low&gclid=CNLay9WylbsCFUmUfgod6VEAtw

      I always see the best sets at smaller paper/craft boutiques, but you could also try somewhere like paper source.

      Delete
  5. so adorable!!! I love how this turned out!

    ReplyDelete